Sunday, June 26, 2005

In the throes...

Not the last throes, mind you. Still very much in the beginning throes. But throes they are.

What throes? The throes of report writing. Oh, the joy, the happiness, the pure pleasure of writing down in words what is plainly in front of you in graph form.

I complain to much, it's really not bad. And it's nice to be doing something different than what I've spent the last month on. That's one reason this is such a cool job... I get to do many different things. In another couple of weeks I'll go off to Bangladesh to help them set up a data collection system. I'll get to (help them) design the database, implement it, and then (help them) code the front end.

Long term details are still hazy... I doubt very much I'll get what I really want, which is a permanent staff position. But things are very much shaping up so that I'll stay here while taking phd classes from Tulane. Mike has now offered to pay my tuition in the event that Tulane doesn't offer a waiver. That's very kind of them, but it implies that I'll still be a Fellow in the fall, since if I were in a paid position I would be able to afford to pay the tuition myself.

That's ok, though. If they are paying tuition and giving me a larger "stipend" (which he's already offered), then presumably they'll also still be paying for my apartment. Which means that, so long as my student loans are deferred then my only expense is CC bills (relatively minor) and car payment (not so minor). Mike says to figure out how much more I need to meet my expenses and TASC will cover it. Hard to beat that deal.

I found a new apartment... I could move in as early as 2 weeks, but it will probably have to wait until the lease on my current apartment expires. This new one is nice... a wee bit smaller than my current place, but not by much. But it's off in this little corner of Bangkok, away from all the hustle and bustle, so it's very quiet. The aunties that own it live next door. There's only 9 apartments in the building, which is only a year old. It's all freshly painted and decorated with wooden carvings from Chiang Mai. Comes with weekly cleaning service, and it's about 10K baht less than where I'm staying now. All of that difference will go to my pocket. It's much more of a "home" feel, you know?

Today's walk into work was almost pleasant... the heat is finally dissapting a little. Hopefully things won't be too hot in Hua Hin for Shannon, the kids and I to enjoy ourselves. She'll be here next week; I'm looking forward to seeing them. Too bad they can't bring the dogs, I miss them too!

Ok, off to writing I go!

Thupt.

Show/Hide...

1 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger pacatrue said...

Hey you mentioned database design and coding. The techie in me is curious. What DB backend will they be using, and what sort of front-end. Are these web services of some sort, or are you talking about building something in Access?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home