Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Decisions, decisions

Well, opportunity is knocking.

I've said all along that there was a chance I could stay here in Thailand for longer than 6 months, if the work was rewarding and if I proved my worth as an asset to the organization. Well, at least one of those questions has now been answered, at least partly.

As you may or may not know, I've been accepted into Payson's phd program. This is good news, of course, but pretty much expected as I did well at the Master's level. It has also been confirmed that I have a source of graduate-level income (i.e. small) from my teacher, Phuong, who has offered me a research assistant position working under her. The only question mark regarding Payson then is if I will get a tuition waiver from the school for the 12-16 hours of course work still required. Phuong wrote to me an email saying that she was lobbying for me... but no answer as of yet.

Meanwhile, I spoke with Mike (Bossman #1) about this yesterday. He asked me what I wanted to do as far as tying my work here in with my phd. I responded with a fairly arbitrary decision that I made a few weeks ago: my first choice is to take classes remotely and continue to work here, for TASC, in Bangkok. The work is stimulating, rewarding, and relatively low stress; and the environment (Bangkok) is more intellectually, culturally, and personally stimulating that taking the safe road back in Louisiana. I could easily move back there and be happy, but here I feel I have more opportunity to grow.

Anyway, Mike steps up to the plate and offers to use his personal connections with the head of Payson to get me a tuition waiver, if I stay here. That's great news, right? Yeah... but, I really didn't think I'd have a choice in the matter. I figured I'd either have to come back to Louisiana to work with Phuong, or if that didn't come through I'd really need to stay here because this is where work is. I thought the decision would be made for me... but it looks like I can go either way now. What to do? I miss everyone and my gut reaction is a little bit of dread about staying for more than 6 months, but, for the reasons I stated above, intellectually I think i will be better served by staying.

It's a big decision... what to do, what to do?

Show/Hide...

6 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Blogger pacatrue said...

Well Bang Bang Boogie says you should be a brutal take no prisoners kind of guy and decide entirely based upon your best guess of benefits to a future career. In other words, I feel like a part of it is that you really like your old prof and want to do right by her. This is of course very cool, but not a take no prisoners business decision. If you think you will have a greater likelihood of getting paid doing something (this is key!) you like to do by staying there, then I would suggest staying there. I remember conversations with you when you were having a hard time finding the job you now have, and you should do everything you can to make sure that doesnt happen again. Though I have a feeling your nieces and nephews will miss you and give you a hard time. But what do I know?
On a different note, check my blog at pacatrue.blogspot.com and you can find out useless things about me. Oh by the way, super congrats about having to make the choice. Bang Bang Boogie

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhm, but you don't have X-Box Live there. Where is the choice? Ah, wait, that's right.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think about what you want your life to look like in five years. Not just professionally, but all in all aspects. Now think about the steps needed to get yourself there. Really.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you stay and tie your phd to your work with TASC would you be in your field of interest?

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oracle sez stay. we can talk over email offline if you want.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The oracle sez: barring personal reasons, stay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home