Monday, April 18, 2005

Per E's Request . . .

There's not that much to tell about Songkran, but I'll share what I can.

The festival started on Wednesday. It's a New Year celebration. The Thais don't need much of an excuse to have a party, and they celebrate three different New Years. The Western one, the Chinese one, and Songkran.

The water pitols started coming out Tuesday evening and they continued on through till Friday evening. The whole city turned into a state of water warfare, but most of the action occured in a placed called "Kao San road", which is known as kind of haven for backpackers due to the high concentration of young foreigners and the cheap hotels. Apparently young Thais are drawn there also, especially during Songkran. It's where just everyone goes who is looking for fun during the festival. I, being an old geezer, wasn't interested in having a water fight so I stayed away from Kao San road. Besides, most of the action takes place during daylight, during which time I had to work.

A second big wet spot, though, is right where I live and work, here on Sukhumwit road. I live on Soi 4 which also has one of the main "entertainment complexes" of the city. The workers and patrons of this complex, as well as all of the bars and restaurants surrounding it for 3 or 4 blocks, all got into the action. For me, that was the Green Mile. I could navigate around the folks outside KFC and Starbucks, but I have to walk down Soi 4 to get home. And so, 2 out the 4 nights I was completely drenched. Little kids with water hoses, older kids perched onto of 3 story buildings taking sniper positions with super soakers, and scores of merchants standing in their businesses with buckets of water to throw and anyone and everyone.

Friday, actually, I almost made it. The "entertainers" had put away their guns because it was late by the time I walked home (about 7:00). I was about 2 blocks from my apartment I saw this group of regular Thais dancing about with numerous water propelling devices. They were obviously having a great time and very inwardly focused. So, I tried to scoot around behind them. I almost made it, but had to pass in front of one guy, about 25 years old. When he saw me, he called out to his friends, took me by the arm and led me into their little circle, and they all just poured water on me.

That's the thing, in many cases it's like a baptism. We go to eat at this little restaurant across the street from work. On Wednesday as we approached the girls that work there just took a little water and poured it on our arms. There was no soaking, so that wasn't the point. It was more of a little bit of ceremony.

Now Songkran is over I can walk the streets again in safety.

Show/Hide...

9 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks!

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really believe that you were in any danger of melting, chief.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i now request you blog again you lazy bum.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Uncley Tom, how about another Blog to let us know how you're doing???

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that you may have melted after all.

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog! blog! we want a blog!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well well. So this is what happens to you when you go to Thailand. Please keep it up llama! The best part of all this is trying to figure out who all the nicks are. Now the question is can you figure out who I am. Hmmm.... I wonder if that was enough of a clue already. Hope you are doing well, llama. Signed Bang Bang Boogie.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Llama said...

Dear Bang Bang Boogie,

Hang 10, dude.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger pacatrue said...

Well, that was far too easy. It was the tagline I know. Curses! Curses! Well, I think it is cool that you are Killer LLama, because my old blog was pacatrue of alpaca fame. And apparently it still is. Wow, in 2 years, they haven't removed it. So I might just do a blatant rip off of you and put something in my blog too. So there! By the way a llama is a quadroped with a beak for gathering honey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home