Thursday, March 17, 2005

Moving along

Finally, tomorrow, I get to move. Thank Buddha :)

Today I'm feeling some better. Still a little scratchy in the throat, but my energy level has picked up dramatically. Despite the fact that I had numerous nightmares last night, thus limitting my productive sleep. At least twice, maybe three times I lept out of bed. The first time I swore I could here a voice in my head whispering "get out! get out!". In the surreal logic that is a dream, I was sure that if I didn't escape the room quickly, then the whole room would plunge down into a dark cave-like railroad system that offered no escape and had an unknown destination. So I lept out of bed, threw on some shorts, and promptly realized how silly I was being. But it happened at least once more afterthat... maybe more.

Anyway, I am feeling better. I received a rare offer this morning. Bossman#1 basically offered me a disertation project for my phd. It's an injury epidemiological project that will be kicking off in April to study the effects of injury after the tsunami. Turns out these guys, by per serendipity, happened to do an injury study on 5 clusters last year, 2 of which were subsequently hit by the tsunami. So now they have a prime opportunity to go back in for a follow up, maybe even a logitudinal study, to study the long term effects of a major natural disaster, with case/control already established. They have offered to let me play a prominent role, which I could then use as a phd dissertation.

I really don't see how I can say no, although the enormity of the task is daunting. I'm going to have to step up and take a leadership position... something I've been backing away from now for a few years. But the rewards should be large. I have till Monday to make a decision. I need to get Phuong's input.

Show/Hide...

4 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom-
you do have strange nightmares.
How exicting about the dissertation project!! It starts next month? Will you complete it within your orginally sceduled time? Have you discussed with Phuong?
Good luck moving this weekend. The apartment sounds really nice.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, didn't Eddie Murphy have a skit about what you are supposed to do when you move into a new place and hear something whispering "get out"? Do it, now! Before it's too late.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

question: what is the time difference between here and there.

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and now i know the real reason you have taken this job... apprarently the miss universe pagent will be held in bangkock this year. http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=185797

 

Post a Comment

<< Home