Sunday, March 13, 2005

The 5 stages of relocation/ Thai Phrase of the Day 2

I have no idea what they are... but I must be in phase 2 now.

I'm feeling decidedly melancholy... waiting for the other shoe to drop. Don't even feel much like blogging, though I'm sure there's lots I could write about.

I received Ofoto pictures, thank you, pc, they are great. And I received emails from sr, thank you as well.

I've decided to go with the more expensive apartment... it has a bit more room for visitors, should any arrive at my doorstep :) I'll let you know exactly how much room once I move in. That will happen on Friday. Ugh, another week in this dingy hotel room. Did I mention there's no windows? And the TV is broken also. So I bought a book... "Deception Point" by Dale Brown... the same guy that wrote "the Da Vinci Code". It's pretty good... would make a good movie as well, if done right. Whoever made "Ronin" would be a good choice... a good chunk of the action happens in the dark on a glacier in the arctic circle far from everything. Accentuating the sense of isolation would be a good way to really ratchet up the suspense.

Well, that's it for now. It's about time for lunch... haven't had pad thai yet, I think I'll have some from our local little street restauranteur.

Thai phrase of the day (simple one today): "Kahb kuhn (kah/krahp)" See the first TPOTD for an explanation of kah/krahp. This one just means 'thank you'. If you want to say "thank you very much then you say "kahb kuhn maak (kah/krahp)".

Show/Hide...

5 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom-
cheer up! it will get better- once you get in the work groove.
We do miss you -- had lots of soccer all weekend; two games each for david and kate. 3 wins and 1 loss--but the winning team's coach tried to recruit david.
the kids are doing standardized tests this week, so hopefully no homework-yea!!
how's the voip availabilty?
and i am still struggling with the kids computer- found the cd but not the product key (it is not the same as the product id in your computer). Any advice?

hang in there!!
weren't those pictures paige sent great? especially the one of dad!
-sr

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am modifying my anti-blog stance in order to request more info on this "more expensive apartment" and the luxuriousness of its visitor accommodations.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Llama said...

I'll post a full report no later than next Monday!

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Thai phrase for you to use...

"Padd Kee Mow" - made especially better when combined with any Thai words conveying "tofu" and "so hot my scalp will sweat".

Beyond that, I'm pretty much useless to you.

Jake

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Uncley Tom!! Me and David are taking ITBS tests (LEAP and IOWA). Im taking the IOWA and itspreety easy right now. Im in Ms. Hebert's test class which is really cool because she is my favorite teacher! ts starting to get pretty lonely here without you, there are only three people and two dogs living in the house (with P.K. outside ofcourse). I can't believe that our computer is still messed up, it drives me nuts!!! well i got to go, write to ya later!!!
love,
Kate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home