Thursday, February 24, 2005

Thailand update

I received the official offer from TASC. They increased their offer to 400 USD per month, which is a more acceptable amount for a stipend, but still very low when you consider car and debt payment obligations.

The will also provide the plane ticket, transportation costs (train and taxi fares), health insurance, lodging, a cell phone, phone calls to the US via VOIP, and some international travel to (most likely) Bangladesh and/or Vietnam.

My flight leaves on March 8th; I'd fly out of BR on March 6th for North Carolina to visit family. For those of you (like myself) that are temporally challenged, that is one week from Sunday.

I wrote back that I would accept their offer, but that I will require mo' money if this extends beyond 6 months. Assuming the accept that caveat, the deal is done.

It would be tight working in Bangkok and making those monthly payments while earning only 400/month. I will have to borrow money; so, I turned to my parents. I talked to them for about 30 mins this morning, and they have agreed to help. I don't ask them for much, so they were willing to help when I asked this time. They will assume my car payments for 6 months. That leaves me just having to handle CC debt and insurance, which is very doable.

I can't thank them enough, their help is what will make this trip possible for me. I just hope it's the last time I have to borrow money for a long time... I'm ready to start making some again.

So, let me take a moment to say that leaving Baton Rouge like this is both exciting and sad. I've come to love and depend upon my family and friends here, and leaving is not easy. But, at the same time, this is a very exciting opportunity that will let me travel and do some good in the world. When we were in high school, we all use to dream of actually helping the world in some way. Save the whales, stop the nukes, feed the hungry, yada yada yada. At least I think we all did, I know I did. And then we grow up and mostly just do whatever we stumble into as a career, earning income to buy stuff, get married, live the American dream. Well, in some ways, surrounded by people I enjoy, I've come to appreciate that life, and it is hard to give it up. But on the other hand, I now have the opportunity to actually live that highschool dream... and experience other cultures while I'm at it. It's what I am meant for; it's the right choice. But I will greatly miss everyone here while I'm doing it.

Thupt

Show/Hide...

7 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will miss you so much!!!!

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sniff sniff.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it awesome you are going to go work overseas. i had dreams of grandeur in highschool, but as you mentioned, other commitments came into play and i chose other priorities.

good luck to you!

i hope this means there will be a party. -E

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never moved overseas, but I've moved away. It's hard, but hopefully it's the right thing for you.

 
At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i told phillip your good news last night... he also would like to know when is the party?!?

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Llama said...

If there is a party, the only real option is Friday night (a week from today).

I mistyped earlier... I'm leaving BR on Saturday, March 5th... so that precludes a party Saturday night.

That Sunday is also So's birthday. So I think some festivities might be in order :) I can't host it though, unfortunately.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, you are an adventurer and a noble man. Best wishes. I hope it's not another 13 years until we see each other again.

Jake

 

Post a Comment

<< Home