Monday, February 14, 2005

One week later, the earth shifted

Yesterday, Sunday, I had grown frustrated enough at the lack of a response from this fella in Bangkok that I decided to send another email. I wrote a message to my teacher, asking her if she had heard from this NGO and if they were still considering me.

I did not receive a reply from her, but this morning I did have a message from the head guy at the NGO. His name is Mike. He asked me a couple of questions about my experience with large data sets (over 10,000 records) and with graphical design/writing.

At this point I start to panic. Large datasets? I have no experience with large datasets! The most I've done is about 100 records. And graphical layouts? Does looking at centerfold layouts count? I could only think of one word to describe my position, it begins with an "f" and ends with a "ucked".

But, as it turns out, after supressing the panic attack I banged out a response that wasn't all that terrible. After getting some feedback and putting it through a couple of revisions, I think I finished up with something that is pretty good. I feel positive about it, anyway, and I think my chances of landing this thing are strong. I just hope it's not another week before I hear back from him again. I really want this job.

Thupt.

Show/Hide...

3 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

exciting good progress on the Thailand opportunity. BUT what about the LUV udpate? It is Valentine's Day!

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, 10,000 records hardly qualifies as a large dataset. No, seriously. You can handle it.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Llama said...

Thanks for visiting, John. Welcome.

Yes, I'm sure I can. It's not that I'm worried about being able to handle the records, but rather that I never have in the past. Mike was asking about past experience, and data analysis skills are the most critical qualification. The conundrum then was how to make it seem like I'm experienced and comfortable with a large data set when, in fact, I've never done it before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home